I’m getting through the final string of proofreading for Further Complications. I exported an ebook-formatted version with Scrivener and I’m squashing more typos and grammar flubs before I publish to KDP.
Here’s an early glimpse at a project I’ve been modifying to improve the sound system.
Here’s another behind-the-scenes look at my sound design process for PVKII.
Here’s part of a retro-inspired tune I’ve been working on, possibly for NMRIH.
Even though I had tried for some classic FM and modular synth tones, ThoughT had commented that the production sounded too clean and modern-sounding. Enter the tape recorder.
I had this bad boy back in 2000 when I started college at UM. I had replaced it with a Minidisc player shortly after the semester started and the recorder ended up in storage for almost fifteen years. Discussing ways to give my song an older grunge reminded me of its existence.
This first attempt was done by re-recording the output of the cassette player into my Zoom. The higher synth notes would vibrate the sides of the speaker and distort, not to mention the added noise from the tape player mechanism. Not ideal, but worth trying.
I tracked down the right cable to go out from the headphone jack and into the line-in on the H2 for this next version. I recorded the parts to tape separately, did a touch of noise reduction to keep the hiss from getting out of control, and mixed them down into this.
I started to notice a bit of a timing drift on the percussion tracks by the end of the track, which means I may need to treat smaller portions and edit them back into the grid. I doubt I’d use this technique on everything, but it can help add a lot of sonic character, especially when you’re going for an older feel.
Here is my latest music demo, featuring game soundtrack material from No More Room In Hell and some finished tunes from the alpha of the defunct retro 2d shootformer Facewound.
I’ve been working on some new bow sounds for Pirates, Vikings, and Knights II out of household items. A creaky dresser in a bedroom turned out to be a good sounding-board for stretched cords. This video shows parts of my process and the finished results.